Friday, August 04, 2006

guns and crosses

JH is at the M's perusing the instructions for the robotic cleaner.
JH: "Hey, do you know what is the sign deaf Iraqi children use for "American"?
I smirk; I have an inkling of where this is going. JH interprets it as an invitation. As he slowly unites his hands, he lowers the fleshly unity onto his external right thigh. Then, from the invisible strap, the simulated pistol appears, is raised, mutely detonated, and recoils throughout his arms. I follow the invisible trajectory of the figment bullet. I shudder in the empty silence.

JQ, an old college friend, surprises me with a short visit to the office. He is now a missionary in South Africa. He tells me of the joys and sorrows of working with children and teenagers, who make up 45% of SA's population. He tells me that most of the Zulus, although claiming to be Christian and attending churches, still take their kids to witch doctors. They still perceive the white Christians as standing for Apartheid. Even the children.

I wonder what sign deaf Iraqi children will use for "Christian" ten years from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home